Name: Larry Swayne
Leadership Charlotte (LC) Class: LC42 (the BEST class ever!)
Title/Company: Director of the Small Business Center, Central Piedmont Community College
Hometown: Lanham, MD
Education: B.S., Marketing, Morgan State University
Current personal or leadership goals: To strike the perfect balance between passion and profession.
1. What advice that you would you give to current Leadership Charlotte participants? Take it all in, get to know your classmates on a personal level, and keep your hearts and minds open.
2. What’s a lesson that you learned through LC that has stuck with you and why? Change starts with you. The smallest gesture can make a big impact on someone’s life, but no gesture makes no impact. Doing a little extra every time on someone else’s behalf can change a community…and it’s contagious.
3. Favorite way to spend a weekend in Charlotte: Coaching my son’s YMCA basketball or flag football team on Saturday, going to church on Sunday, and having great pizza somewhere in between.
4. Greatest personal accomplishment and why: Being a loving and involved dad is at the top of the list. For me, there’s nothing more rewarding than seeing my kids smile every day.
5. What do you hope to be doing (differently) in five years? I’d like to have the opportunity to live and work abroad.